Yousician piano has two modes for song play; Practice and Play. Practice mode is the place where you can practice a song at your own speed. Once you’ve learned the song, go and play it in Play mode for stars and points.
You can access practice mode by selecting Practice on the song start screen, and play mode by selecting Play. You can also toggle between the two modes from the Pause menu.
When in Practice mode, you get feedback on how you play. The song also restarts once you get to the end, so you can replay it if you want to. To practice at your own speed, you can adjust the tempo yourself, or use the Auto tempo feature.
- To hear what the chord/note sounds like, toggle on Play for me to use the synthesizer.
- Toggle on the Auto-adjust speed to use the Auto tempo mode. With the auto mode, the app reduces the speed to 50%, and then goes up or down depending on how you play. It works from 25% through to 125%, in 5% increments. You can also change the tempo by moving the slider.
- Metronome adds a steady beat to the song. This helps you to maintain the song tempo while practicing.
- Toggling on Mute song silences the backing track.
- When Loop lead-in is on, you get a one bar count in at restart.
Once you have made the changes, select Done to save them. Check this Yousician How-to about the benefits to using a metronome.
The progress bar at the bottom of the screen shows your position in a song. You can loop any section by moving the sliders. Check the video about the benefits of using loops.
When you practice songs with two hands you can toggle off one, and practice the other, by selecting between the Left or Right hand options.
The number of tries starts at 3x when you play a song, or a part in a song. It is visible in the top left corner in Play mode. The number goes up or down depending on how you play. If you consistently play notes correctly, the number increases to 5x.