Yousician piano has two modes for song play; Practice and Play. Practice mode is the place where you can practice a song at your own speed. Once you’ve learned the song, go and play it in Play mode for stars and points.
You can access Practice mode by selecting Practice on the song start screen, and Play mode by selecting Play. You can also toggle between the two modes from the in-song Pause menu.
When in Practice mode, you get feedback on how you play. The song also restarts once you get to the end, so you can replay it if you want to. To practice at your own speed, you can adjust the tempo yourself, or use the Auto tempo feature.
Tap or click on the white arrow in the top right corner to access the options. You can adjust the following:
- Practice one hand only by turning off Left or Right from the options.
- To hear what the chord/key sounds like, toggle on Play for me to use the synthesizer.
- Metronome adds a steady beat to the song. This enables you to maintain the song tempo while practicing.
- Toggling on Mute song silences the backing track.
- When Loop lead-in is on, you get a one bar count in at restart.
The progress bar at the bottom of the screen shows your position in a song. You can loop any section in a song by moving the arrows.
Watch this video for more information about looping and the benefits of using it.
- Play as well as you can to advance to the next task.
- Complete tasks to progress in the syllabus.
The amount of 'lives' or 'tries' you have starts at 3x when you play a song, or a section in a song. It is visible in the top left corner in Play mode.
The number goes down or up depending on how you play. If you consistently play notes correctly, the app adds 'lives' for you up to 5x.